I. Listening Comprehension
Directions: In Section A, you will hear ten short conversations between two speakers. At the end of each conversation, a question will be ast what was said. The conversations and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a conversation and the question about it, read the four possible answers on your paper, and decide which one is the best answer to the question you have heard.
1. A. In two weeks. B. Within two weeks. C. Two weeks ago. D. For two weeks.
2. A. At a garage. B. In a parking lot. C. At a car shop. D. In a car showroom.
3. A. Sell the ice cream. B. Take a bite of the ice cream.
C. Make a wish. D. Pass up the food.
4. A. $5.00. B. $8.00. C. $3.00. D. $2.5.
5. A. She's unwilling to do it.
B. She is afraid of donating blood.
C. Donating blood is none of her business.
D. She's ready to donate blood.
6. A. Sick. B. Quite well. C. Excited. D. Confused.
7. A. She has only one coat so she can't choose.
B. She has a coat but she doesn't want to wear it.
C. She hopes that the man can lend her one.
D. She doesn't wear a coat since she hasn't one.
8. A. She's wondering how many hands she has.
B. She doesn't want to help the man.
C. She can't handle this suitcase by hand.
D. She would help the man in hand.
9. A. She can't prevent her family members from missing her.
B. She can't help her family because she is not strong enough.
C. She misses her family because she doesn't do well in the new school.
D. She misses her family because she doesn't get used to the school's life.
10. A. She was busy eating something delicious.
B. Johnson was too busy to talk to someone.
C. She didn't notice who Johnson was talking to.
D. Johnson was meeting the new guests then.
Directions: In Section B, you will hear two short passages and one longer conversation, and you will be asked several questions on each of the passages and the conversation. The passages and the conversation will be read twice, but the questions will be spoken only once. When you hear a question, read the four possible answers on your paper and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you have heard.
Questions 11 through 13 are based on the following passage.
11. A. Waste from animal. B. Agricultural chemicals.
C. Industrial waste. D. Safe containers.
12. A. Undamaged metal cans. B. All the boxes of juice or milk.
C. Leaking cans. D. Waterproof containers.
13. A. You should clean up the cans only.
B. You should brush the cans and then put them in boiled water.
C. You should place the cans in safe areas.
D. You should make the cans clean and boil them thoroughly.
Questions 14 through 16 are based on the following passage.
14. A. A laboratory assistant. B. A chemistry teacher.
C. A teacher of a laboratory. D. A professor in the hospital.
15. A. He can map the class.
B. He will be dropped from the class.
C. He will be reported immediately.
D. He will attend other classes.
16. A. It must be fastened tightly together.
B. It should be cut right away.
C. The students will be asked to leave the class.
D. The students' parents will be called to school.
Questions 17 through 20 are based on the following conversation.
17. A. Purple. B. Black. C. Natural. D. Gray.
18. A. Because she is afraid to appear in a magazine.
B. Because she thinks dyeing hair will do harm to hair.
C. Because she hopes to be different from others.
D. Because she is afraid to be punished by her parents.
19. A. Having it cut immediately. B. Letting it be.
C. Having it dyed again. D. Dyeing it themselves.
20. A. Dye her hair right away. B. Buy some cheap dye.
C. Keep her hair natural. D. Choose some special products.
II. Grammar and Vocabulary
Directions: After reading the passage below, fill in the blanks to make the passage coherent and grammatically correct. For the blanks with a given word, fill in each blank with the proper form of the given word; for the other blanse one word that best fits each blank.
Ten year-old Annemarie Johansen lives with her family in Copenhagen, Denmark. There are soldiers on the streets, and the country (21) ______ (occupy) by the Nazis. There isn't enough to eat, and the world is at war. Then the Nazis decide to"relocate"the country's Jewish population. The Danes don't know (22) ______ their friends and neighbors are being taken away. They don't know where they are going, either. But they do know that it is wrong and dangerous and that they must help.