1. （2015﹒重庆）Last year was the warmest year on record, with global temperature 0.68 ℃____________ the
A. below B. on C. at D. above
up to average 达到平均数；达到一般水准
average v. 平均数为……；算出……平均数
2. (2017•天津)We offer an excellent education to our students. , we expect students to work hard.
A.On average B.At best
C.In return D.After all
【试题解析】考查介词短语。句意:我们给我们的学生提供优质的教育,作为回报,我们期待学生能努力学习。根据句意,这里用介词短语In return表示"作为回报"。on average"平均";at best"充其量,至多";after all"终究,毕竟"。
3. It is believed that it’s no _______ that many of the most successful companies today are in Silicon Valley(硅谷).
Compassion is a desire within us to help others. With effort, we can translate compassion into action. An experience last weekend showed me this is true. I work part-time in a supermarket across from a building for the elderly. These old people are our main customers, and it’s not hard to lose patience over their slowness. But last Sunday, one aged gentleman appeared to teach me a valuable lesson. This untidy man walp to my register(收款机)with a box of biscuits. He said he was out of cash, had just moved into his room, and had nothing in his cupboards. He asked if we could let him have the food on trust. He promised to repay me the next day.
I couldn’t help staring at him, I wondered what kind of person he had been ten or twenty years before, and what he would be lick had gone his way. I had a hurt in my heart for this kind of human soul, all alone in the world, I told him that I was sorry, but store rules didn’t allow me to do so. I felt stupid and unkind saying this, but I valued my job.
Just then, another man, standing behind the first, spop. If anything, he looked more pitiable(可怜的).“Charge it to me” was all he said.
What I had been feeling was pity. Pity is soft and safe and easy. Compassion, on the other hand, is caring in action. I thanked the second man but told him that was not allowed either, then I reached into my pocket and paid for the biscuits myself. I reached into my pocket because these two men had reached into my heart and taught me compassion.
1. The aged gentleman who wanted to buy the biscuits ________.
A. promised to obey the store rules
B. forgot to take any money with him
C. hoped to have the food first and pay later
D. could not afford anything more expensive
2. Which of the following best describes the old gentleman?
A. Kind and lucky.
B. Poor and lonely.
C. Friendly and helpful.
【2015•北京】If _________for the job, you’ll be informed soon.
A .to accept B. accept C. accepting D. accepted
1. If _________ to look after luggage for someone else, inform the police at once.
A. asked B.to ask
C. asking D. having asked
2. When_________ for his views about his teaching job, Philip said he found it very interesting and rewarding.
A. asking B. asked
C. having asked D.to ask
3. The refugee crisis(难民危机) in Europe, if ________ properly, can lead to serious social problems.
A. not handled B. not being handled
C. not to be handled D. not having been handled
4. This drug is less likely to cause side effects when ________ late in the day.
A. taking B. taken
C.to take D. takes