Comprehensive reading based on the reading text
Teaching material Reading, Unit 4 Making the news
New Senior English for China, Module 5
Teaching object Class One, Grade Two
Teaching aims By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
1. have a good understanding of the text and get to know the following idiomatic expressions: cover a story, trick of the trade and get the fact straight;
2. talt how to be a good journalist.
By the end of the lesson, the teacher will help the students to arouse the interest of reading newspapers.
Teaching key points & difficult points & solutions Teaching key points Solutions
1. Enable the students to have a rough knowledge of journalists’ work. Asdents to discuss with their peers; present them a flow chart to illustrate what journalists should do to make the news.
2. Help the students to have an outline of the passage and provide information for writing. Use Mind Maps to illustrate the structure of the dialogue.
Teaching difficult points Solutions
Enable the students to conclude the information and write down a passage about how to be a good journalist. Use the Mind Map to gain knowledge about tips for becoming a good journalist. Then a writing format is given for students to fulfill the writing.
Teaching procedures and activities
Steps Teacher’ activities Students’ activities Intentions
Lead-in 1. Greeting!
2. Demonstrate a piece of news. 1. Have an interaction with the teacher.
2. Talt the exciting news.
2. Read the news given by the teacher. To make an interaction and lead the students to the topic.
Comprehensive reading Pre-
reading 1. Talt journalists’ work.
2. Show them a flow chart:
receive the assignment
go to cover a story
write the article hand it to the editor
3. Asestions. 1. Work in a team to discuss the journalists’ work.
2. Report the journalist’s work.
3. Answer questions. To require students to learn to cooperate with others and enable most of them involved in the activities.