1. — Would you mind moving over a little? I have to pass here.
—______ I’d like to help.
A. Not in the slightest. B. Don’t mention it. C. Never mind. D. At your service.
2. Our company is seeking for a manager, especially _____ with creativity and imagination.
A. the one B. each C. one D. that
3. It’s supposed to be the end of the paperback and the _____ of digital media, but some
bookstores are surviving the Internet age with surprising success.
A. deadline B. dawn C. dusk D. departure
4. — Good morning. May I help you?
— No, than. I’m just looking around.
A. It’s up to you. B. How are you feeling today?
C. Thanks for coming to see me. D. Tar time then.
5. Once you’ve _____ the items you ordered, put this record in your file.
A. checked in B. checked off C. chect D. checked with
6. This was returned because the person _____this letter was addressed had died three years ago.
A. to whom B. to which C. which D. whom
7. The scientist does not study nature _____ it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it.
A. until B. because C. though D. unless
8. Days later, my brother called to say he was all right, but _____ say where he was.
A. mustn’t B. shouldn’t C. wouldn’t D. mightn’t
9. The real reason why prices ______, and still are, too high is complex, and no short discussion can satisfactorily explain this problem.
A. were B. will be C. have been D. had been
10. Hearing the news, she rushed out, _____the book _____on the table and disappeared into the distance.
A. left; lain open B. left; lay opened
C. leaving; lie opened D. leaving; lying open
11. This house is almost _____ to the one where I lived as a child.
A. identical B. manual C. chilly D. enthusiastic
12. The new product is beyond all praise and has quickly taken over the market _____ its superior quality.
A. in terms of B. on account of C. on behalf of D. on top of
13. ____ some teenagers don’t realize is ____difficult life can be after they get addicted to drugs.
A. That; how B. Which; what a C. What; what D. What; how
14. Is it he or you _____ in charge of the job and supposed to complete it punctually?
A. who is B. that is C. who are D. whom are
15．—What happened to the young trees we planted last week?
—The trees _____well, but I didn’t water them.
A. might grow B. needn’t have grown C. would have grown D. would grow
Songs bring us through our life. Each time I listen to my favorite song Reach, I’m deeply 16 by its lyrics: “If I could reach higher, just one moment touch the sky...” When we hear this 17 song sung by Gloria Estefan, we can 18 imagine how she managed to return to the stage after her serious bacry. In 1990, this Cuban singer was 19 down in a terrible traffic accident, and the doctor 20 that she might never walk again. But Gloria did not 21 and kept on working hard toward her 22 . Just one year after the disaster 23 , she stood up again and 24 this encouraging song at the Atlanta Olympics.
Whenever I think of Gloria, a 25 crowds in my mind. When I entered university, naturally shy, ordinary looking, and with 26 scores in my lessons, just ligly duckling. I seemed to be the 27 outstanding one in my class. Continuous failures drove me into 28 . “Am I to take a back seat to everyone else?” 29 to give in to such a fate, I spared no effort to work on my lessons and joined in many 30 , such as English speech contests and dramas. I just wanted to catch every little chance to 31 myself. My continuous efforts finally paid off. I received some 32 . More importantly, I 33 courage and confidence to face any difficulty in my life.
34 is just like farming. You 35 what you sow. Once you have a dream, don’t hesitate. Keep moving!
16.A. convinced B. disturbed C. impressed D. discouraged
17.A.entertaining B. inspiring C. boring D. puzzling
18.A.easily B. simply C. finally D. hardly
19.A.knocked B. cut C. pulled D. turned
20.A.argued B. declared C. doubted D. added
21.A.give away B. give back C. give out D. give up
22.A.goal B. journey C. achievement D. recovery
23.A.happened B. ended C. lasted D. returned