Unit 1 Friendship Period 1
1. The sea became c_______after the storm. They were ready to go sailing.
2. As far as I am c_______, I can’t agree with what you said.
3. The room has been empty for a long time and all the furniture is d_______.
4. He arrived an hour late and u_______all our arrangements.(安排).
5. The boy hid himself behind the c_________and loot through the window.
6. I wanted to have a word with her ,but she ________（不理睬）me and went away.
7. The moving TV________(连续剧)become popular across the country.
8. The boss was ________ (完全地)satisfied with what the workers had done.
9. He has the ________(能力) of holding his audience.
10.Children should spend more time taking exercise ________(在户外) and less time watching TV at home.
1. When he travels with his friends, his mother is always ________(concern) about his safety.
2.. Don’t judge anything about the idea until you have understood it ________(entire).
3. I found a ________(dust) bag under the bed when I was cleaning up my room last night.
4. I have to believe that encouragement is so ________(power) that it can change a person.
5. She fastened the belt ________(loose) around her waist.
6. It was no pleasure ________(watch) the football match at home alone , so I went to the bar.
7. It was the second time that he _____________(visit) the Great Wall.
8. ________(surprise) and afraid ,Tom rushed out of the house .
9. He’ll do whatever I tell him to do .He’s completely ________my power.
10.So instead, what I do is just to stand outside and look ________the window.
11.John’s success has nothing to do with good luck. It’s years of hard work ________has made him what he is today.
12.There was a time ________women were not allowed to publish their worsing their own names in England.
13.We have to go ________the final examinations before we can leave school.
Unit 2 English around the world
One Canada, Two Languages
Canada is one of the few nations in the world to have two official languages: English and French. There are 10 provinces in the country but only one of these---Quebec is known as "French Canada". This is because it was founded by French explorers while British adventurers discovered the rest.
Canada left the British empire (帝国) in 1867 to become an independent country, and English and French have been recognized as the official languages ever since.
Most people speak English as their first language and the two national television networks broadcast in English throughout the country. Apart from in Quebec and a few places on the east coast, French television is very rare.
The same goes for traffic signs and menus. For example, outside of Quebec, there are only a few places where you'll see traffic signs in French. In restaurants, it's almost impossible to find French on the menu unless you are in the heartland (中心地带) of French Canada. However, all products sold in Canada must, by law, have labels (标签) and instructions in both languages.
In Canada's English speaking provinces, official bilingualism (双语) means that students can choose to complete a special French language course. Under this program, they are taught most of their subjects in French.
If a student begins the course in kindergarten (幼儿园) or Grade One, it is likely that all their lessons will be in French. However, if they start at junior high school,25 percent of the teaching will continue to be in English.
1. How many provinces are there in Canada?
A. Ten. B. Nine. C. Eleven. D. Two.
2. Which country controlled Canada before its independence?
A. France. B. Britain. C. America. D. Germany.
Unit 4 Earthquake
Last Friday a storm swept through two villages in the New Territories(新界), destroying fourteen homes. Seven others were so badly destroyed that their owners had to leave them, and fifteen others had broken windows or broken roofs. One person was killed, several were badly hurt and taken to hospital, and a number of other people received smaller hurt. Altogether (总共) over two hundred people were homeless after the storm.
A farmer, Mr. Tan, said that the storm began early in the morning and lasted for over an hour.“I was eating with my wife and children,” he said, “when we heard a loud noise. A few minutes later our house fell down on top of us. We tried our best to climb out but then I saw that one of my children was missing. I went back inside and found him safe but very frightened.”
Mrs. Woo Mei Fong said that her husband had just left for work when she felt that her house was moving. She ran outside at once with her children.
“There was no time to take anything,” she said, “A few minutes later, the roof came down.” Soldiers helped to take people out of the water area and the welfare government brought them food, clothes and some other things.
1. How many homes altogether were destroyed in the storm last Friday?
A. Fourteen. B. Twenty-one. C. Twenty-nine. D. Thirty-six.
2. Where was Mr. Tan when the storm first began?
A. He was in bed. B. He was at table. C. He was outside the house. D. He was on the roof.
3. Mrs. Woo and her family didn’t get hurt because ________.
A. her husband knew there would be a storm
B. they were all outside the house when the storm became worse
C. she felt the house moving and they ran out immediately
D. the welfare department helped her
4. This passage may be from _____________.
A. a guide book B. an introduction C. an advertisement D. a newspaper
5. Which of the following may be the best title for this passage?
A. A Terrible Storm B. A Lucky Woman C. Good Soldiers D. Clever People
Unit 5 Nelson Mandela-a modern hero
My new teacher is cool. Her name is Paula so we call her Miss Paula.
The first time we met her she said we are going to be good friends and that good friends are always nice to each other.
Miss Paula has been teaching us a lot of things. Some of us used to get in trouble for talking in the hallway. Miss Paula says she can’t change the rule that we can’t make noise in the hallway but we can still talk to each other. She is teaching us sign language. I already know how to say “hello” and “how are you” with my hands. Now we love it when we have to walk somewhere and we are always quiet except for a laugh or two.
Miss Paula likes everybody even Sam and nobody likes Sam. He never does what he’s told but now he is doing better. Miss Paula says every single one of us is perfect and beautiful just the way we are. I guess that includes Sam.
This week at school was really the best ever. I didn’t even get in trouble when I thought I would, because I spilled (洒) milk on my homework and had to hand it in when it was still wet. Miss Paula just smiled and asked, “What’s this?” So I told her what happened. Miss Paula put it near the window to dry. She said the sun had been waiting for such an important job as this and would be happy to help us.
Well, I have to go and get ready for bed now. I have school in the morning and I want to wap early so I will have time to pick Miss Paula some flowers.
1. What do we know about Miss Paula?
A. She changed the school rules. B. She is very kind to her students.
C. She is strict with the writer. D. She uses sign language in class.
2. How did the writer probably feel when he handed in his homework?
A. Worried. B. Bored. C. Excited. D. Relaxed.
3. We can learn from the passage that the writer _______.
A. is a bit afraid of her new teacher B. always picked her teacher some flowers
C. wrote this article in the morning D. loves and respects her new teacher