Unit 1 Festivals around the world
1. He ______ have completed his work; otherwise, he wouldn’t be enjoying himself by the seaside.
2. The program is designed __________(satisfy) the needs of adult learners.
3. He paid for a seat, when he ______ have entered free.
4. -- I've taken someone else's green sweater by mistake.
-- It ______ be Harry's. He always wears green.
5. Carlos ________ (award) first prize in the oral English competition yesterday.
6. -- Do you know where David is? I couldn’t find him anywhere.
-- Well. He ________ have gone far -- his coat’s still here.
7. John, look at the time. ______ you play the piano at such a late hour?
8. Shortly after our ________ (arrive) in London, Lisa was attacked.
9. Tom, you _________ leave all your clothes on the floor like this!
10. There _______ be any difficulty about passing the road test since you have practiced a lot in the driving school.
11. She apologized and he ______(forgive) her.
12. I ______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened.
13. Helen ______ go on the trip with us, but she isn’t quite sure yet.
14. He was in tears and ________(obvious) very upset.
15. -- The woman biologist stayed in Africa studying wild animals for 13 years before she returned.
-- Oh, dear! She ______(go) through a lot of difficulties!
Unit 2 Healthy eating
16. Admitting you've made a mistake is a sign of _________(strong), not weakness.
17. —May I smoke here? -- If you ______, choose a seat in the smoking section.
18. Cycling is highly __________(benefit) to health and the environment.
19. There’s no light on—they ______ be at home.
20. “What have you got in there?” Felix asked __________(curious).
21. If I ______ plan to do anything I wanted to, I’d like to go to Tibet ant travel through as much of it as possible.
22. We aim to offer good value and service to all our _________(customer) in our supermarket.
23. “The interest(利息) ______ be divided into five parts, according to the agreement made by both sides,” declared the judge.
24. A __________(combine) of tiredness and boredom caused me to fall asleep.
25. -- Tom is never late for work. Why is he absent today?
-- Something _______ have happened to him.